The Pink Dot

by Nate Dunn • February 10, 2014 • too random

Taking in deep breaths of air it seemed beyond belief that I was experiencing a vitality of life impossible to comprehend nearly six months earlier. As we rolled past palm trees and shoreline, sharing scars of donation and transplantation, I introduced Jacob to his first ride along the Pacific Coast Highway.

Two men, one organ.

All in

When the nurse anesthetist told me I had to lie on my back I didn’t know how to respond. The pain had intensified making her request feel impossible. I doubted my ability to lay for 15 minutes, let alone four hours.

A week earlier (July, 2013) I had received a living donor liver transplant. Due to several complications a procedure was planned to insert a coil over my splenic vessels in an attempt to reduce blood flow to my undersized and sputtering liver.

As I explained my doubts to the nurse I could sense her accurate reading of my desperation.  The team could, as she explained, postpone the procedure until the following day, allowing time to plan and prepare for general anesthesia, or they could move forward.  In my mind “tomorrow” wasn’t an option, my chips were on the table.

On The Clock

The stuffiness of the surgical drape was claustrophobic, forcing me to focus my breathing.  Since I was required to follow specific commands the medical team rode a fine line between my consciousness and sedation.

“OK Mr. Dunn, we need you to take a deep breath, hold…good, now exhale”.  With each passing second the pain in my abdomen intensified.  “Ma’am, I need more medication” I pleaded.  “Mr. Dunn you have to stay awake, you have to keep breathing”. Back and forth they danced, sedation and consciousness. When the procedure finally finished, my clock started.

Four hours, on my back, go.  I felt like I had just limped across the finish line only to learn the course had been changed.  A nurse wheeled me into the recovery room where my wife and close friends were waiting.  Their task was to distract me until I hit the four-hour mark.

Minute by minute I watched the hands on the clock. I tried to break up time like an intense interval. The searing pain was causing me to hallucinate.  Cartoon characters danced antagonizingly on the walls.  My wife and two other friends worked furiously to massage me from head to toe in a hopeless attempt to distract me from the slow passage of time.


Back at home I tried to distance myself from those desperate moments. Two days passed like two weeks in a warzone. I expected excitement upon return but all I felt was dread. I was unable to connect or show affection to my wife or daughter.

Once my industrial strength meds wore off the terrifying pain took root again. It consumed me. Friends and family came to visit but I felt as though I was crouched on a battlefield while those closest to me sat in lawn chairs.

I tried my best to pace within our house but I needed a longer leash. Making my way outside I stumbled down our street, an attempt to regain control over the mounting intensity in my abdomen. My wife, hearing me go outside, came to guide me.

None Shall Pass

Seven years earlier she held my arm in marriage at a friend’s idyllic vineyard in the Napa Valley. Now I grasped her in desperation, walking a tightrope between life and death. I envisioned arriving at this juncture and having a Gandalf moment–plunging my staff into the ground while fearlessly proclaiming my commitment to live.

The last 13 years had been spent preparing for the inevitability of a transplant. I had everything to live for; a devoted wife, an 11-month old daughter, and a former student donating a piece of his liver to save my life. As much as I wanted to keep fighting, I had nothing. I welcomed death.

As the sun rose, my wife led me indoors. I sat alone, attempting to dispel the pain in my abdomen.   In a flash I felt an explosion near my liver, then spreading across my chest.  Looking down I saw bile pouring down my side. I cried out as my wife rushed out of the bedroom. I needed to get to the hospital. After eight hours of additional surgery I emerged with a new portal vein grafted from a separate organ donor who in death gave me life.


Even as my health improved, the emotional intensity of my experience was never far from the surface. Having lost nearly 30 pounds I looked and felt like a zombie, a shell of the athlete I once was. The prospect of riding my bike seemed too far-fetched. I longed for one deep breath to purge the physical and emotional toll of the transplant.

While recuperating in the hospital my live-donor came to visit. Four years earlier I was his basketball coach. Dressed in a tailored suit, I was a model of control and professionalism.  Now he lead me, coaching with words of support and encouragement. As we talked, emotion overcame me.


As we continued down the Pacific Coast Highway, conversing over cycling dictums such as shaved legs and color coordination, our conversation stood in stark contrast to the somber tone of our earlier visits. Through Jacob’s gift, I was riding and breathing again, my life evidence of the marvel of organ donation.  A friendship established on the court was now a bond of blood and tissue.

*Preparing for Surgery

*War Zone

*Blood and Tissue

*The Pink Dot

–  Nate Dunn, M.S.

    Data Driven Athlete

To learn more about organ and tissue donation please visit the link below

To learn more about living donation please visit the link below